The Department of Surgical Oncology at GBH American Hospital provides surgical care to patients with solid tumors in combination with adjuvant treatments.
At GBH AH, the care of patients with all types of cancer is a collaborative, multidisciplinary process. Our team of surgical oncologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, specialized oncology nurses, and social workers is dedicated to providing you with the most advanced, coordinated, and comprehensive medical care available anytime - treatment that is effective and innovative in curing and controlling cancer and managing its impact on quality of your life. Our surgical oncologists have expertise in the management of all types of cancer including breast, gastro - oesophageal hepatobiliary, pancreatic, colorectal, genitourinary, gynecological, head and neck, endocrine, and musculoskeletal tumors. We also have specialized training and offer a wide variety of treatment options ranging from minimally invasive surgical procedures to chemotherapy regimens and radiation therapy techniques, including brachytherapy and external beam radiation.
- Head and Neck Oncology Services : The head and neck oncology division treats all malignancies of the head and neck region and has the expertise to perform complex craniofacial and microvascular reconstruction.
- GI Oncology Services : The Gastrointestinal Oncology division undertakes the care of all GI malignancies including oesophagus, pancreas, liver, colon, rectum and anus. They have considerable expertise in procedures such as hepatectomy, Whipple’s procedure, total mesorectal excision and laparoscopic procedures.
- Breast Oncology Services : The Breast Oncology division undertakes all surgery for breast cancer including breast conservation surgery, breast reconstruction, accelerated partial breast irradiation, sentinel node biopsy, and oncoplastic surgeries.
- Gynecologic Oncology Services : The Gynecologic Oncology division undertakes to stage laparotomies for carcinoma endometrium, CA ovary: radial hysterectomy for CA cervix, besides surgeries for gynecological sarcomas and vulval malignancies.
- Uro-Oncology Services : The Urologic Oncology division is well equipped to treat all malignancies of the urologic tract including bladder, prostate and testicular cancer. The division has expertise in performing radical prostatectomies, radical cystectomies and laparoscopic adrenalectomy as well as routine Uro-Oncology procedures.
- Soft-tissue Oncology Services : The soft tissue oncology division undertakes skin and soft tissue services offer limb conservation surgeries, brachytherapy for soft tissue sarcoma, sentinel node for melanoma and other skin malignancies.
- Nuro-Oncology Services :An active Neuro-Oncology programme under the Department of Neurosurgery has the facilities for the comprehensive management of all central nervous system and craniospinal neoplasms. These include cavitron ultrasonic surgical aspirator (CUSA), neuroendoscopic and streotactic biopsy, transphenoidal surgery for pituitary tumors and advanced skull-base and microneurosurgical techniques.
- Orthopedic Oncology Services :The Orthopedic Oncology division provides surgical treatment of muscle and bone tumors and works closely with the Cancer Centre to coordinate additional follow-up care for cancer patients. We undertake limb salvage surgery with endoprosthetic replacement, vascularised bone autografts, extracorporeal radiotherapy and re implantation of tumor bone and total femur and total humerus replacement. Limb salvage surgery for soft tissue sarcomas, internal hemipelvectomies, en bloc resections of primary spinal tumors and extended curettage of benign aggressive bone tumors.
- Multidisciplinary Tumor Boards :The availability of all associated departments under a roof makes the management of most malignancies easier for the patient and physician. There is a strong emphasis on multidisciplinary approach to treat the patient with tumor board meetings being regularly held to discuss the cases and decide the best management options for the patient.
Dr. Arpit Jain
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), DNB-SS (Surgical Oncology)
FMAS, ESMO Certified (Singapore)
Consultant Surgical Oncologist